If you haven’t heard, there’s a new Ironman 70.3 coming to Atlantic City New Jersey and this Jersey girl (currently residing in Pennsylvania) couldn’t be more excited. Here’s why…
5) I’m excited because the community is abuzz! We all have our favorite local races to do each year and the addition of this 70.3 Ironman race is generating that extra bit of excitement for everyone planning their 2016 race season!
4) The timing is PERFECT! A September 70.3 means no matter what our winter/spring looks like next year, there will be plenty of time to train. We’ll also be training in race-like weather conditions so no cool Spring training only to race on the first 80 degree day of the summer!
3) Location, location, location. Atlantic City is very convenient for us here in Philadelphia and it’s not as if we actually needed a reason for a September weekend at the Jersey Shore!
2) There aren’t enough 70.3 races around. I coach a lot of athletes who want to step up to 70.3 as their next level in endurance sports and there are not many on the local scene. This new 70.3 Ironman event is a welcome addition!
1) DelMo Sports, of course! I expect a great race from the race company that made jumping off the Cape May Ferry an annual event to look forward to. I have raced in the DelMo Sports AC tri and have volunteered for their Challenge 140.6 and everything about this company and Steve Del Monte focuses on the athlete and the athlete’s experience. Ironman will undoubtedly produce a quality event and the heart of the event will be driven by a local company that cares about us, the community of athletes toeing the line in the bay, on the expressway and the boardwalk.
Check out the race, sign up if you’re ready, volunteer if you can!